I wrote this one a few years back, when a friend of mine who was giving a Christmas party asked me to come up with some party games. Here are the titles of fifteen familiar Christmas carols, which have been obfuscated with a plethora of highfalutin language. See if you can decipher them.
1. Palestinian municipality of unimpressive size
2. Seraphic beings originating from a celestial location
3. I espied a trio of sea-going vessels
4. Somewhere sort of far off, in a feedbox
5. Spruce up the gathering place with bunches of seasonal greenery
6. Depart, and proclaim the news from an elevated location
7. May the Supreme Deity maintain you in a state of jollity, fellas
8. It took place at 12:00 under a very starry sky
9. Unbounded happiness to the inhabitants of this planet
10. Complete absence of nocturnal noise
11. I speculate in astonishment, even as I perambulate aimlessly
12. On a particular occasion in a certain village associated with a prominent Hebrew monarch
13. The time from December 25 to January 6
14. Seasonal musical composition for hollow metal objects, typically having the shape of an inverted cup widening at the lip, that sound a clear musical note when struck, typically by means of a clapper inside
15. Seasonal musical composition for percussion instruments, typically cylindrical, barrel-shaped, or bowl-shaped, with a taut membrane over one or both ends, sounded by being struck with hands, sticks, or mallets
❆ ❆ ❆ ❆ ❆
ANSWERS: 1. O Little Town of Bethlehem; 2. Angels from the Realms of Glory; 3. I Saw Three Ships; 4. Away in a Manger; 5. Deck the Hall with Boughs of Holly; 6. Go, Tell It on the Mountain; 7. God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen; 8. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear; 9. Joy to the World; 10. Silent Night; 11. I Wonder as I Wander; 12. Once in Royal David’s City; 13. The Twelve Days of Christmas; 14. Carol of the Bells; 15. Carol of the Drums
12 – 15 correct: Pretty good, but don’t get a big head; it was an easy quiz
8 – 11 correct: You need to go Christmas caroling more often
4 – 7 correct: I suspect you just don’t like music
fewer than 4 correct: Is your name Ebenezer?
Feel free to post your score in the comment section below, assuming it’s something you’re proud of.