Advertisements from long, long ago — holiday edition

24 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — holiday edition

1. Linda Lee says:

Oh what fun! These are the best! I want to reblog this, do you mind??

• Reblogging is the sincerest form of flattery!

• Linda Lee says:

Thank you!! Sorry I jumped ahead, I was just so excited about this post and, well, patience isn’t my strongest quality. (I think God may have just rolled His eyes.)

Anyway, I figured I could always delete my reblog if you did mind. But, thank you!!

To my surprise, all of the pictures came through on the reblog. I hope you still don’t mind? I promise I won’t be offended if you do!! After all, it must have taken you quite awhile to find all these old ads and put them together. This is YOUR post. 🙂

Happy Merry Christmas Holidays!

• I’m always honored when anyone considers my stuff worthy of re-blogging. It’s nice that WordPress makes it so easy to re-blog.

As for vintage ads, that’s something I collect compulsively, like pictures of cats, dogs, birds, etc. Eventually the files get so full that I have to do something with them. 🙂

2. Adrienne says:

I actually remember many of those ads. In particular, the Camel ad. My grandpa smoked Camels and he always got lots for Christmas.

As to the vacuum and toaster? My mom had fits over those ads and said no woman should ever receive such a “gift” for Christmas. She was right. Although……….I did receive a tool belt, a palm sander with a dust catcher, and a cordless Dremel tool one Christmas. That’s different.

3. ColorStorm says:

The Colt ad seems so harmless, and it is. A mere pic of a handgun as an object of delight, like the kid with the Winchester.

I would be more concerned with people getting rattled over the Toaster ad though. Bad toaster, might get shocked if you stick a fork in it…………

4. Linda Lee says:

Reblogged this on Heal My Complex PTSD and commented:
    Happy December! Check out these wonderful old Christmas ads from one of my favorite bloggers! I am old enough to remember many of these. Be sure to click on the link to see the rest of the ads on Bluebird’s blog. She saved the best for last: Ronald Reagan in his pre-presidential Hollywood days, promoting Chesterfield cigarettes. 😀

Comments are disabled here, please visit Bluebird’s entertaining blog to comment.

Merry Christmas!

5. idiotprufs says:

You probably shouldn’t give your wife the rifle directly after you’ve given her the vacuum cleaner.

6. alec says:

Any idea where someone could pick up some of those nice Textron PJs these days? Bet they were made to last.

Great finds. Who knew Santa smoked Luckys but always gave his friends Camels?

• While browsing all the vintage Christmas ads available online, I was amused to see how many different brands of cigarettes claimed Santa as their spokesman. (Pretty much all of ’em.) Either the old guy’s not very picky about which brand he smokes, or the cigarette companies are trying to pull a fast one on us. I don’t know which possibility is more disturbing.

As for the Textron jammies, I advise checking your local Goodwill store; there’s no telling what you might find. 🙂

7. Merillion says:

I enjoyed these ads. But I decided to check out Bob’s relatives again, & cracking up again!