Advertisements from long, long ago — ultrasexy menswear edition

26 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — ultrasexy menswear edition

1. Thomas says:

Oh, yuck! How did I manage to live through that era without succumbing? If if was a test of character, I passed.

2. Will S. says:

Reblogged this on Will S.' Random Weirdness Blog and commented:
    Sometimes, the past is another planet! 😉

3. LOL! Oh my…no wonder mom was upset! Some of the wildest ones though, I don’t think I actually, saw anyone wear. Fashion generally is toned down a bit by the time it hits the street.:0)

4. Andrew says:

Get me some jeans and leisure suits like this please –
    I want to be a STUD !

5. Morris says:

Ahhh, the seventies with the stovepipe jeans and the winklepickers.

WTH were we on??? LOL

6. fishlaw says:

I’m still searching for plausible deniability that I ever owned a leisure suit. Or 2. I THINK it was Carter’s fault, somehow.

7. […] Advertisements from long, long ago — ultrasexy menswear edition […]

8. Sorry, Blue. This is just too painful to click ‘like’. 😉

9. Zip-a-Dee says:

I don’t think your cousin Thorndike could fit in any of them – much to his delight!

10. luckyotter says:

Yikes! 1970s clothing was so tacky! I can’t believe we ever thought it looked good.

11. Citizen Tom says:

I refuse to like this post. Look at those skinny models. Pretzel men. The gal admiring that clown in the pink suit has more muscles than he does.

Those silly clothes were “fashionable” when I was in college. Then I gave up on jeans and wore the bottom half of a utility uniform (what came before today’s battle dress uniform (BDU).

The clothing manufacturers saved a bunch of money on cloth. They made jeans for skinny guys without any muscles. So if I bought jeans that fit my waist, I could not get the pants legs over my thighs. Fortunately, the military’s utility uniform was still made to fit an ordinary man with muscles. Soldiers have to stay fit.

When the pretzel men start aging, they put on weight. So fashions changed, and the clothing manufacturers introduced relaxed fit jeans. Since some of those relaxed fit jeans accommodate those who are not couch potatoes, I buy them. Otherwise, I suppose I would be wearing the bottom half of my old BDUs.

• “Pretzel man”? That’s a new one to me. I believe the correct term is “ectomorph.” My son is an ectomorph, like his father (none of our kids take after their endomorphic mother). Ordinarily he doesn’t have too much trouble finding clothes that fit him, although length can sometimes be a problem since he’s six and a half feet tall. But I remember the time he and a friend spent the summer bicycling all over Europe, and when he came back in the fall, his thigh muscles had become so large that none of his jeans fit.

• Citizen Tom says:

Exercise is not a cure all, but it does burn off fat and make a guy’s muscles stronger and bigger.

When I was in graduate school, I use to run and get around Richmond, VA on a bike (no car). I did not start dropping off some of that muscle mass until I hit my fifties, which seems to be normal. Less testosterone, I suppose.

I don’t know what causes some to be ectomorphic and others to be endomorphic. I just know we are relatively rich, and we eat too well and exercise too little. Not the worst problems we could have.

As I have grown older, I try to limit the desserts and the condiments (generally full of fat). My digestive tract has always been delicate (prone to heartburn). In my early thirties, I finally got it through my head that eating rich food just hurt too much.

Fortunately, I soon discovered that we don’t have to smother what we eat with butter, mayo, sour cream, dressing, and so forth to enjoy it. A little bit is a enough. I suspect your family also knows the benefits of moderation. Hopefully, you learned with fewer stomachaches.