Let the memory live again

Stan and Lois, both in their eighties, were becoming more and more forgetful. On the advice of their doctor, they began carrying small notebooks and pencils with them so they could write down things they wanted to remember.

One evening while they were watching television, Stan got up from his chair.

Lois said, “Where are you going?”

Stan said, “To the kitchen for a glass of water.”

Lois said, “While you’re there, will you get me a bowl of ice cream?”

Stan said, “Sure.”

Lois said, “You’d better write it down so you won’t forget.”

Stan said, “I don’t need to write it down. You want a bowl of ice cream. I can remember that.”

Lois said, “Can you put some strawberries on top?”

Stan said, “Sure, I can do that.”

Lois said, “You’d better write it down so you won’t forget.”

Stan said, “I don’t need to write it down! Ice cream and strawberries. I can remember that.”

Lois said, “I want some whipped cream on it too. You’d better write it down. I’m sure you’ll forget if you don’t write it down.”

Stan said, “I don’t need to write it down! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream! How hard is that to remember?”

Stan shuffled off to the kitchen, grumbling all the way. He was gone for about twenty minutes, and when he returned, he handed Lois a plate of bacon and eggs.

Lois looked at the plate, then looked at Stan reproachfully and said, “Where’s my toast?”

22 Responses to Let the memory live again

1. Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
    My little BlueBird friend has me figured out 😱😄😄😄

2. John Maberry says:

Oh yeah, not there yet but I can empathize. LOL. 🙂

3. Adrienne says:

I routinely stand in the pantry door and wonder why.

• Me too. Or I go downstairs for something, forget what it was by the time I get there, have to go back upstairs so I can remember what it was, then go down there again… etc. On the bright side, I get a lot more exercise by being so absent-minded.

4. franhunne4u says:

Not in my 80ies – but isn’t it wonderful how he knew what his wife “really wanted” 😉

5. atimetoshare says:

I’ve read this before and it still makes me laugh, because it sounds like my life!

6. Thomas says:

Sad but true.

7. bobcabkings says:

So sad that he forgot the toast. She probably forgave him for that.

8. Funny yes, but… 😀 😀 😀
    Great story. Well told.

9. I hate to say it, but I know the feeling. 😀 — Suzanne

10. Zip-a-Dee says:

He was just thinking of her health and didn’t want her to become a tubby! (subconsciously, of course!)
    Here’s one for you b.o.b.!