Quite possibly the weirdest thing you will see all day

This is every bit as bizarre as Dale and Gail singing “One Toke Over the Line” on Lawrence Welk.

25 Responses to Quite possibly the weirdest thing you will see all day

1. HEY BB – I remember when that song and dancing style was NEW and rated as COOL 😄😄😄

2. That was weird. It looks like old Ernie was trying to keep up with the tastes of the youngsters. That either works or it doesn’t. In this case, it just looks weird. Funny, actually. I wonder if he ever did it again. He was a smart guy. I read he was a graduate of Juilliard School of Music. 😀 — Suzanne

3. bobcabkings says:

I remember that song from the old TV show, The Hit Parade (yep, I’m that old), but not this version – absolutely hysterical.

4. Adrienne says:

Never saw that before, or if I did, it was successfully wiped from my memory bank. Those girls were positively horrible dancers.

5. Adrienne says:

I used to love the LW show. I had a huge crush on Myron Floren, the accordion player.

• I used to watch Tennessee Ernie Ford on TV with my mother while she was doing her ironing. My mother ironed everything, including dish towels, handkerchiefs, bed sheets, and my dad’s boxer shorts, so there was time to watch a LOT of television while she was ironing.

6. Well that just took two minutes I’ll never get back.

7. Lyndah Anderson says:

I loved this how refreshing!!! Thank you

8. Wally Fry says:

You made that up, shame on you LOL.

9. Hey! Ernie Ford! Brings back “I Love Lucy” memories 🙂

10. Sounds like they mixed it with the theme from The Munsters.

11. Maybe I have a weird streak in me but I love it, lol.

12. I looked it up: this aired on May 22, 1965. Somehow I missed seeing it. Probably because I never was a Lawrence Welk fan.

My grandparents loved Lawrence Welk. When we were visiting at their home later in the summer of 1965, my grandmother was watching the news when a clip was shown of teenage girls screaming and swooning over the Beatles as they arrived at the airport.

“Isn’t that disgusting!” My grandmother said. “You don’t like them, do you?”

I had never heard of the Beatles before and I was curious to learn what all the screaming was about. But I knew from her disapproving tone what she wanted me to say: “No, Grammy, I don’t like them at all.”

Eek, I just did the math. My grandmother was ten years younger then than I am now. 😱

• My mother (God rest her soul) just shook her head over the Beatles. After hearing them sing “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” on Ed Sullivan, she said disapprovingly, “Well, if any boy had ever wanted to hold my hand, he wouldn’t have gotten it that way!”

13. Citizen Tom says:

Never was a big fan of watching other people play, not even playing music. I suppose that is one reason I have always been a little baffled by the way people regard music.

When the Beatles started their reign on the stage, I was a boy with an older sister. So, quite naturally, I had to tease my sister. So in my own way, I enjoyed the Beatles.

As I got older, i realized too many musicians misbehaved — drugs and sex. In fact, I fear most of the entertainment community now promulgates destructive behavior. So I just ignore it. Even when I was not a Christian, the “me” generation’s behavior rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, Tennessee Ernie Ford’s inability to “get” the new genre of music may have been weird, but it was probably an unsought blessing. He may not have been perfect, but he was definitely better off doing what came more naturally to him.