Advertisements from long, long ago — coffin nail edition

11 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — coffin nail edition

1. I want to laugh, while still wondering what a generation or so down the road will think of our stress relievers and ‘doctor recommended’ (cigarette hangover?)

• I was thinking about how bewildering it must have been for someone who was trying to decide which brand to smoke — should you listen to the doctor, the dentist, the baseball star, or Ricky and Lucy? Who’s the expert here?

2. Hard to believe now. It was really a different time. My parents and grandmother smoked and I suffered earache after earache. Warm smoke in my ear from the cigarette was supposed to help. Unbelievable. Now they say secondhand smoke may cause earaches. —- Suzanne

• It’s possible, I guess. On the other hand, there seem to be very few maladies, calamities, and catastrophes that have not been blamed on second-hand smoke at one time or another!

• Will S. says:

My grandpa cured beestings by putting a wad of chewing tobacco on them! Said it killed the pain.

Counter-intuitive, from today’s perspective.

I guess beekeepers should chew tobacco… 😉

3. Thomas says:

Hey, smoking must be good for your if three of the greatest-ever ballplayers (Williams, Musial, DiMaggio) endorsed it. Quick quiz: How many of you know who Bucky Harris was? Don’t cheat and look him up.

4. Citizen Tom says:

I watched what smoking did to my father. I don’t smoke. Yet some of siblings did. That left me puzzled. When they could see the effect on our father, why did they do that?

Blame Madison Avenue? Partly, perhaps. The cigarette company’s advertisements were effective, but there is no doubt some find cigarette smoking pleasurable. So they allow themselves to get hooked and sacrifice their health.

I would also note that the same Madison Avenue advertising techniques were used to hijack the tobacco industry’s profits by lawyers. Consider how we “punished” the tobacco industry. A bunch of lawyers sued the tobacco industry so the government could increase taxes on cigarettes and give some of the money to the lawyers. That put some money in the lawyers pockets and gave sleazy politicians more of the public’s money (a bunch of addicted smokers) to spend. Yet this devious operation, conducted right out in the open, was successfully promoted as some kind of great victory.

Are the tobacco companies more trustworthy than our political class?

• I used to puzzle over why anyone voluntarily engaged in any kind of risky behavior. I’m not a risk taker; I have never even been tempted to gamble (for example) because just thinking about doing it makes me queasy. Obviously a lot of people don’t suffer from any such reluctance. The sensation that I get from doing something risky, which I find intensely unpleasant, is experienced as pleasant and desirable by many people. I’ve been told it’s due to our different brain chemistry, which may or may not be true.

5. lbeth1950 says:

Even now these are fascinating. Horrible but fascinating.

6. Will S. says: