Advertisements from long, long ago — holiday edition

26 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — holiday edition

1. Thomas says:

Love that Pall Mall puff chart. As if a real smoker wouldn’t smoke it down to the nub.

2. hocuspocus13 says:

Reblogged this on hocuspocus13 and commented:
    jinxx🎄xoxo

3. Mike says:

I think Pacific Research International should be targeting college campuses…
    And of course, nothing says Merry Christmas like Chesterfields. Nothing. Well may be Colt, but not without a Chesterfield.

4. Yvonne says:

Those were the days, my friend …

5. A handgun was never really a Christmas gift I considered for anyone. 😀 — Suzanne

• My husband gave me a gun one Christmas, more as a gag gift than anything else. It was an antique Russian revolver that was almost too heavy for me to lift with one hand. My husband has an interesting sense of humor. 🙂

6. Reblogged this on A Blog About Healing From PTSD and commented:
    Happy December!

• Thank you for reblogging. ❤

• You are welcome. Most of these ads bring back fond memories.

I ended up deleting my reblog, though, because the one where the little boy’s pj bottoms have fallen below the crack in his rear, bothers me. I am in my sixties, so I remember when a lot of ads had images like that, both print ads and even on TV. The little Coppertone girl, for example, with the dog tugging her swimsuit half off, comes to mind. To normal people, ads like that are cute and sweet and innocent, reminiscent of a gentler era.

But it bothered me, because I know too many people who were sexually abused as children. My dear husband is one. I didn’t want to take the chance that the ad might give some sicko a thrill.

I tried to delete just that one picture from my reblog, but found no way to do it. So finally I deleted the whole thing. That may seem silly. But when my big tough biker US Marine combat veteran husband, 6’2″ and around 300 pounds, told me of his horrific abuse when he was 8 and 9 years old — with tears running down his cheeks as he told me — it forever changed how I look at that kind of ad.

7. Grandtrines says:

Reblogged this on Lost Dudeist Astrology.

8. Sean Connery! What a cutie! Thank you for separating him from the bed wetter.

9. sepultura13 says:

Reblogged this on Random Ramblings; Myriad Musings and commented:
    LOL – since we’re now inundated with “seasonal” advertisements…why not a few more?
    XD

10. Dink Newcomb says:

It may not be in line with the ’50s ad posted but the best way I have seen to get rid of a bedwetting problem is to vote the afflicted’s party out of office in an election defeat repudiating almost every vile thing they arrogantly advocate as the right thing to do. Maybe now the wretched #%$$^#& will have to sleep in their own soiled sheets.

11. luckyotter says:

This is great. I lol’d at the Colt ad: “give mother what she REALLY wants for Christmas!” Haha!

12. Zip-a-Dee says:

Some good ones b.o.b.
    Here’s something to dovetail the advertising:

13. Zip-a-Dee says:

Hey bob, check your spam folder!
    Some interesting ADs!