Advertisements from long, long ago — ultrasexy menswear edition

14 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — ultrasexy menswear edition

1. cosistories says:

That Flagg Bros. one is great! Those guys are like “Lovin’ my high heels and bellbottoms. Uh-huh.” 😆

2. Thomas says:

I must note that the elegant styles are at least 70 years old.

3. floridaborne says:

I always lovedd the mens suits and hats from the 1930’s and 40’s.

Ads from the 70’s always crack me up. Never did see the point in wearing them, but seeing those ads reminded me of how the whole ultra-wide bell bottoms & platform shoe craze was hilarious.

Then there were all the men who rented light blue tuxedos for weddings, and brides with afros.

Wonder what part of the early 21st century styles people will laugh at?

4. HaHA! I love these, Those shorts are just eye-popping! 🙂

5. Reblogged this on sherriemiranda1 and commented:
    I especially like the styles from the 70s! We were so crazy! 😉😛😝😳😜😄😘
    Peace,
    Sherrie

6. Reblogged this on texthistory and commented:
    Think I prefer the Victorians

7. Dink Newcomb says:

Great Levis ad.
    I remember shortly after getting out of the service, I went to buy a couple of pair and was outraged to find that while I was away, the price had risen from $3.75@ to $4.50!
    I wore Levis for years cutting brush on survey lines and only got more elegant attire (Khakis and a shirt WITH BUTTONS) as a new job moved me out of the woods into civilization, dealing with people instead of contending with nature.
    Levis, in those days, were the most durable garment readily available.

8. […] Advertisements from long, long ago — ultrasexy menswear edition […]

9. Citizen Tom says:

The male fashions of that era left me thoroughly disgusted with clothing designers. I consider bell bottoms just a step above the sagging pants craze.

When I was in college, I gave up on jeans. Instead, I wore the military issue pants that went with a utility uniform. Since I exercised regularly, I could not find jeans I could get over my legs and still fit my waist. Apparently, the fashion designers all had bean poles for legs.

As I got older, most of the fashion designers must have gotten fat (It is a cinch they never took any time from smoking pot to exercise.). The new relaxed fit worked for me, which was fortunate. The military had replaced the utility uniform with BDUs.

Anyway, the platform shoes gave me a chuckle. I still remember walking across campus and seeing this tall thin black guy with a large Afro and thick (even for him) platform shoes. I think he was afraid of falling off his shoes because walked with his knees bent. He looked like an enormous spider.

• Platforms were very hard to walk on, and as I recall, there were quite a few injuries from people falling off of them. It was impossible to walk gracefully in them.

In defense of bell bottoms, they did have the advantage of making it very easy to put your boots on. 🙂