Advertisements from long, long ago — femme fatale edition

30 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — femme fatale edition

1. egorr says:

Waitaminute! They’re saying “Gay Ballerina” and yet they’re showing a picture of a girl??

Oh! Duh! This is from waaaaaaay-back-when. My bad! ;P

2. Ubi Dubium says:

I had a pair of clogs in the 70’s. But they were made from real wood, not that fake stuff. I actually still have them too, tucked away in the back of my closet. Thanks for the blast from the past!

3. Oh my goodness, those ads! Those prices!

That Maidenform ad — yikes. Wish I could still buy one for $2.

• The prices are what always get me on these old ads. These days when I have to buy what we used to call “foundation garments,” there goes a week’s grocery money…

• A few months ago when the Kmart went out of business in our town, I went to the store during the “final closeout sale,” thinking that I could finally buy some new foundation garments. But it looked like they had marked most of the prices up, not down, in anticipation of eager buyers. So I am still wearing the old threadbare stuff. Because we do like our groceries.

4. Long long ago??! That shoe ad was from my teenage years, and although it was pretty long ago, it certainly wasn’t ‘long, long!” 😉

5. Catering to women who want to be attractive? Hasn’t that been banned?

6. I’ll bet there’s no longer a market for Wate-On .

• sue says:

Dear Bluebird and Friends, i can’t help but wonder, is that Wate-On ad for real? i am in my early 60s, so if the ad (saw another of that type) is for real, they probably go back to the early 1950s – if not during WWII, when things were rationed.

• I have a fuzzy memory of seeing ads for this stuff, maybe in the back pages of women’s magazines like Glamour. This would have been in the 1960s or maybe as late as the ’70s.

• There are a LOT of old ads for products to put on weight. There really was a time when skinniness was not considered a beauty asset. Even during my teens (1960s and 70s) I remember seeing ads for something called Nutrament, which was supposed to help skinny people put on weight.

• sue says:

Dear Bluebird and Friends, Come to think of it, i remember a commercial where a lady said “… 180 pounds without going on a diet.” This was in the mid 1960s, and until now, i had thought 50 or so years had fogged up that memory. Still, that seems like a lot of weight, but then again, with the heavy vacuum cleaners and such that women used back then, the 180 pounds had to be curvaceous muscle. i love those old pictures. They hearken back to a day when most husbands were delighted at the news of another little blessing being on the way. Nowadays, so different. Feminism is just a red-pill’s excuse, too many guys simply don’t want to grow up. And they get real snitty when called on their sameold-sameold b.s.

• When I was in my teens, although I was not at all overweight, I was a little too curvaceous for the then-prevailing standard of female beauty. I had a skinny friend who liked to tease me by saying it was too bad I hadn’t been born back in the days when fat women were considered beautiful.

7. Jennie says:

I remember some of these! Great post.

8. That certainly brought back memories. It’s hard to believe they ever had a product to put weight on women. 😀 — Suzanne

9. Larry Geiger says:

Top picture, middle girl. Wilma Flintstone?

Nobody I knew used Palmolive. Everyone used Dove.

And oh, good grief, the Yardley girl with flowers in her hair.