Wednesday weirdness

Mickey and Minnie Mouse made their film debut in 1928 in “Plane Crazy.” Like most cartoons of the era, it has something to offend almost everyone, including violence, cruelty to animals, gender stereotyping, and unwanted sexual aggression. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

8 Responses to Wednesday weirdness

1. jono51 says:

You are right. It has all that and more!

2. Widdershins says:

He certainly got his comeuppance in the end though! 😀

Well, I hope he learned his lesson!

4. Oh my goodness. Who knew that a vintage cartoon could be so traumatizing?!

I’m not talking about the violence, the cruelty to animals, gender stereotyping, or even all the unwanted sexual aggression. You see, I HATE to fly. Last July, when I flew from New Mexico to Connecticut for my granddaughter’s wedding, I promised myself that I will never, ever fly again. Next time, I will drive.

Last week, my son invited me to his wedding, which will take place near the end of August. I told him that I love his fiancee and I’m thrilled they’re getting married. Of course I will be there, I said.

Then he told me that the wedding will take place in the Dominican Republic, where his fiancee is from.

AUGH!!!!

• ibikenyc says:

I, too, H-A-T-E flying. Did anyway, and now the horror stories I hear about how people “behave” on planes have made everything so much worse: All the joys of the subway plus that BIG space between you and terra firma. Oh, no, thank you!

(Maybe you could take a boat from Corpus Cristi or Brownsville?)

• The boat is an idea… however… I was once on a commercial fishing expedition about 100 miles off the coast of Galveston in the Gulf of Mexico, when a freak tropical storm hit. The captain said the winds were just 1 or 2 knots below hurricane force. It was like riding the world’s most extreme roller coaster, only way more extreme. I think I would rather fly. Maybe.

• ibikenyc says:

Oh, dear. Now that you mention it, I seem to recall that. Sorry 😦

Seaplane? (That’s on my bucket list; always looked like so much fun!)

Drive to Miami and fly from there (much shorter flight)?

I DO feel your pain. Last time I had to fly was to Kingston in about 1982. My then-boyfriend’s grandmother had died in Brooklyn but had always wished to be buried at home, so down we all went for the funeral, etc.

5. ibikenyc says:

I love most animation, especially the early stuff. When I think they were hand-drawn frame by frame, it just knocks me out.

(Nowadays, of course, Mickey’s got his own Learjet. . . )