Advertisements from long, long ago — Happy Homemakers™ edition

23 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — Happy Homemakers™ edition

1. rugby843 says:

These just make me mad.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

2. julesmomcat says:

I remember my Mom using Duz laundry soap in her wringer-washer; she kept a measuring cup in the box.

GROANNN! The ‘good old days’ really weren’t that good.

3. jono51 says:

I’m surprised the kitchen area doesn’t have some kind of chain or leash attachment point.

4. Is the food chopper suitable for vegans?

5. msjadeli says:

My grandma and mom both had that food grinder. They made pickle and bologna spread with it (with eggs thrown in also.) I loved it as a kid. The good old days. No not the stereotyping part but where things were less chaotic in the world or so it seems they were. Maybe it’s just an illusion.

6. ibikenyc says:

I’ll take a pink washer and dryer, a pink phone, and rose-scented furniture wax, please!

Butisol, aka “Mother’s Little Helper.”

7. I’m sensing a certain theme here about roles in marriage. Heh. The past is a different world.

Actually still have Dad’s Universal Meat Chopper. The original box got ruined long time back, and I don’t remember what the price tag was. Alas. The pigs jumping into it is gross, and hilarious. PETA folk would be appalled.

8. beth says:

i love these, so crazy

9. I can’t make out the text on the Electrolux ad. How, exactly, does this dustless, bagless, automatic vacuum work?

Because I’ve recently discovered that they’re not selling old-fashioned vacuums with bags anymore because Ecologism. We have one of the bagless type, and ugh! is it a dusty mess to empty and clean, and not a very big chamber. Yay, Euro-style green living.

The early-1900s-vintage building we used to live in, in Chicago, apparently once had a central-vac system, where you plugged the hose into the wall, and some janitor had to deal with the bag in the basement – a system abandoned long before we moved in, but the pipes were all still in place.

• I had a bagless one for a while and I hated it. Whenever I tried to empty the dirt catcher, the dust and dirt went everywhere.

The problem with the ones that use disposable bags is that either they discontinue the model and stop making replacement bags, leaving you with a vacuum that still works but that you can’t get bags for (been there)… or you get a vacuum you like and gleefully stock up on bags for it because you get a better deal if you buy them in the giant economy size package, and then the vacuum blows up and you’re stuck with a bunch of bags you can’t use (done that).

I can’t win.

• ibikenyc says:

Yes, and now that Sears has gone out and, I presume, I won’t be able to buy any more Kenmore vacuums, I don’t know what I’m gonna do!

My Grandma had an ancient (1940s?) upright that was made of / with actual chrome, weighed about a hundred pounds, and was still going strong in the mid-eighties. Believe it was Kirby.

• ibikenyc says:

I, too, tried to read that ad! Very frustrated.

(Although I guess I coulda just looked it up; DUH!)

My lottery-dream house will have a whole-house vacuum.

10. janiejunebug says:

I’ll take the daytime sedative, please.

Love,
    Janie

11. I really love old ads. 🙂 — Suzanne

12. Relax... says:

Lol, “may be habit forming” — lemme risk a hit of that. As for the pink kitchen phone, mine (in the dining room) was just like that, but Harvest Gold. I had two teens, so I bought a 25′ cord. Who knew that could stretch to 75′? 😁

13. Love the one that chef does everything but cook – that’s what wives are for. Times have changed!