Advertisements from long, long ago — For the Children™ edition

20 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — For the Children™ edition

1. Corrie.S.P. says:

OMGOSH! Those kid are so creepy! especially the fig-newten and red dye kid.

2. msjadeli says:

I was laughing and cringing at the same time looking at them.

My first thought is how wordy the are. Did people really read all that bumf?
    And did they really think it was a good idea to give kids laxatives? Seems like it’s saying ‘be on the safe side and use this product’.
    The little girl dying everything in sight amused me. Poor cat!

• Merillion says:

In those days, mothers wanted your insides to be “cleaned out.” Enemas were popular. with soapy water in them. I remember it well 🙂

• Zaden Zane says:

Mine too! I don’t know why but from the 1970s(ish) onwards adverts started incorporating less and less text until now they’re just an image and a logo. It really annoys me though when you want some INFORMATION and it’s not there.\

4. Lisa Beth says:

Ahhh, memories. I was the one shopping with mom for Chubby Girl sizes. Unlike this ad claims, they weren’t very slimming! 😕 I must have eaten too many Mars bars and those cookies. Haha…
    Not sure how a desperate baby under a tub would make you buy Pear Soap…go figure!

5. janiejunebug says:

Oh, boy! I bet girls wanted to gain weight so they could wear those beautiful Chubbettes–not! Mother gave me Ex-Lax when I had appendicitis (not yet diagnosed). It was not a good idea. She also told me it was a Hershey bar. It very clearly was not.

Love,
    Janie

6. John Holton says:

I love old ads like these. The older ones (from the early ’60’s and before) use drawings instead of photographs, and some of them are real works of art.

7. Gregoryno6 says:

Fig Newtons – they have a different name here in Lockdownunder, but unofficially they’re known as pillow biscuits.

8. I had one of these products earlier today. The 8 vegetables in a can. 😀

9. floridaborne says:

I remember “Look mom, no cavities” ads. Back then “Chubby” was skinnier than today’s normal.

10. Zaden Zane says:

There’s so many words in those adverts. I was wondering why… I suppose they date from the time before TV totally ruled, so a print ad back then was more like a TV ad now… (?) Maybe…(?)

11. Did someone spike that kid’s ginger ale?

12. Some of those people look scary. And that Pears soap ad would put you off the product for sure.

13. Imlac says:

Amazing how many of the brands are still with us.

14. jenny_o says:

I have never ever said “Whee!” about fig newtons 🙂 And what is going on in the Pears soap ad? It’s a little scary. Some of those products have been around a long time, though. Either the ads worked or the products sold themselves!

15. Citizen Tom says:

Sometimes advertisers shoot themselves in the foot when they try too hard to get attention, and that’s funny.

16. Dawn Marie says: