Advertisements from long, long ago — holiday edition

14 Responses to Advertisements from long, long ago — holiday edition

1. John Holton says:

There’s a group on LiveJournal called “Vintage Ads” that’s pretty much the only reason I stay on LJ, and a few of these have been featured there. I love the old ads, especially considering that a lot of the pictures were drawn rather than photographed. Some of them are works of art. The ad for Mojud stockings is worthy of Alberto Vargas…

2. What a way-back look! I remember some of these. I do know that if hubby had read any of those appliance ads and gotten me a coffee pot or an ironing board, he’d have had one very cold Christmas…

3. jenny_o says:

These are awesome – some so cringy, some so weird, some so full of double-entendre 😀 And a couple even so sweet!

4. Ubi Dubium says:

I had one of those shiny aluminum christmas trees when I was a kid, that had belonged to my great-aunt. Each branch was stored in its separate paper sleeve to protect it, and had to be inserted individually into the trunk. You really needed bright colored ornaments to put on it, anything silver or gold wouldn’t show. I’m told you could get a color changing spotlight to shine on it, but I never had one.

• ibikenyc says:

I remember seeing those trees with the spotlight. The story — possibly what would now be called an urban legend — was that you couldn’t use regular lights on the aluminum trees because you’d be electrocuted.

Never knew anyone who owned one, though, and had no idea each branch was wrapped separately!

5. Lisa Beth says:

Nevermind crying, I’m going to ask my husband for a can opener for Christmas and see what he says….
    He just said, “If that’s what you want, go get it”
    So romantic! I can’t stop laughing! 😄

6. Hetty Eliot says:

These are great! I love the one with the wives/husband circle the items

7. ibikenyc says:

Drooling over that red dress Loretta Young is wearing!

(You’d need a bunch of those Rid-Jid ironing boards to take care of that skirt!)